Nashville Surgical Error Lawyer
Any surgical procedure involves an element of risk. Negligence by surgeons and staff can cause injury, disability, and even death. When this occurs, it is regarded as a medical malpractice case. Surgical errors can be some of the most devastating medical errors a doctor can commit. During surgery, doctors, nurses, and surgeons often encounter complex and unforeseen events that require quick decisions. Unfortunately, this can lead to a surgeon, nurse, or other surgical team member making a mistake, ultimately resulting in a patient’s injury.
Surgical errors tend to be some of the most expensive and traumatic cases because they typically require corrective surgeries and ongoing treatment. Our Nashville surgical error lawyers can explain the complicated medical malpractice laws and how they may apply to your surgical error case.
Common Surgical Errors
Unfortunately, surgical errors can happen even during the most routine procedures. Even with precautions in place, if a doctor or surgeon is not diligent, they can commit a surgical error and injure their patient.
Common examples of surgical errors that a surgical errors attorney may be able to assist with include:
- Anesthesia Errors – During surgery, it is the anesthesiologist’s job to administer a mix of drugs intended to temporarily place a patient in a condition so she will not feel pain. The anesthesiologist also must monitor the patient’s heart rate, breathing, and other critical functions. However, the wrong combination, too much anesthesia, or other error or mistake, and the patient may experience brain damage or never wake up.
- Damage to Internal Organs – While performing surgery, a scalpel may cut or injure a nearby organ, leading to severe and potentially permanent complications.
- Nerve Damage – In severe cases, this can lead to loss of movement and use of the affected area.
- Avoidable Infections
- Performing surgery on the wrong part of the body or wrong patient
- Unnecessary Surgery
- Failing to follow up with a patient after surgery
- Foreign objects left in the body
- Discharging a patient too soon
The consequences of a surgical error can include brain damage, loss of the use and functionality of a limb, infections, and even death.
Compensation for Surgical Errors
Surgical errors often require additional corrective surgery, which can cost a person thousands of dollars. Severe surgical errors can require a person to undergo physical therapy, miss time from work, and can even result in permanent disability. A Nashville surgical error lawyer can help a person recover for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Lost future wages
- Living expenses
- Transportation expenses
Talk to a Surgical Error Attorney Today
Here at Leader Law PLC, we understand the complications and hardships that often accompany a surgical error. If you think you or a loved one has been injured because of a surgical error, do not hesitate to contact our experienced Nashville surgical error lawyers. Please call us today at 615-780-4100.
See additional cases involving Medical Malpractice and Hospital Negligence.
If you need to consult a lawyer regarding an injury you or a family member sustained due to medical malpractice, contact our office today for assistance.